Skip to main content

Sauteed Chicken with Lentils and Alugbati

I first heard about lentils as I read the Old Testament part of the Bible. 
 "And Jacob gave Esau bread and stew of lentils; then he ate and drank, 
arose, and went his way. 
Thus Esau despised his birthright." 
(Genesis 25:34)
"Now it happened, when David had come to Mahanaim, 
that Shobi the son of Nahash from Rabbah of the people of Ammon,  
Machir the son of Ammiel from Lo Debar, 
and Barzillai the Gileadite from Rogelim, brought beds and basins, 
earthen vessels and wheat, barley and flour, parched grain and beans,  
lentils and parched seeds, honey and curds, sheep and 
cheese of the herd, for David and the people who were with him to eat.   
(2 Samuel 17: 27-29)


In my mind, I wondered what lentils were but never really bothered to get to know about it. Just recently, I've seen some recipes with lentils as ingredients and to my surprise, I found some cans in the grocery store. Still I didn't  find time to read about it until my daughter bought a can for a dish she tried lately. I found her left-over lentils in the ref. It has so much semblance to mongo (mung beans). 

I usually cook sauteed mongo with shrimps and ampalaya (bitter melon or bitter gourd) leaves. This is a popular dish in my country that goes well with any fried fish. Alugbati (Basella alba or Malabar Spinach) also makes a very good substitute for ampalaya leaves which has a slightly bitter taste. I'm so used to the taste of mongo with alugbati as it always reminds me of home when I was a child, the dish having been a frequent dish on our dining table. Alugbati is semi-succulent, its stem is reddish purple  and I just love its mucilaginous texture! Aside from its nutritional value, it also has medicinal properties and surprisingly, tastes good as vegetable salad, as well.

Last Sunday, I was about to cook chicken with mung beans and alugbati  leaves but the sight of lentils made me change my mind. So here's a product of another simple and easy experiment from my culinary arts laboratory---
The lentils may not be very visible in the photo. Well, I deliberately didn't use much of it since my kids aren't fond of mung beans, hence, I anticipated they wouldn't like lentils either. A perfect substitute, I just discovered, to mung beans. Lentils don't only taste very much like mung beans, they are also a rich source of proteins.

Interested with the recipe? You may find it at Petitchef. Click here to view.

My husband was speechless eating this new dish... (ssshhhh.... his mouth was full!) LOL!!!

Enjoy your weekend!
===============
Linking to:
Abiding Woman
Weekend Bloggy Reading All recipes are on Petitchef

Comments

  1. Gracias mi querida!


    Sea muy bienvenido! Siempre Adelante!



    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olá!!! Tudo bem???
    Vim aqui retribuir a sua visita no meu cantinho!!!
    Fico feliz por você me seguir!!!
    Venha sempre!!!>>> Passe lá e pegue um selinho de agradecimento!


    Com carinho e beijinhux, Marie.


    http://algodaotaodoce.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ola! Muchas gracias por tu visita, mi amiga. Glad to see you here. Hope to see you around!

      Delete
  3. HI Eve I am happy to tell you that I have nominated you for the Liebster Award!!!

    http://hkchic.blogspot.com/2013/04/second-liebster-award.html

    Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mandy, for the nomination. What could be more encouraging!

      Delete
  4. This looks really good! I love finding new recipes for lentils- they are so good for you:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment. Would love to see you back.

Most popular posts

Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta: A Remake

There's a saying that goes, "One is enough, two is too much..." Uh uhhh, not for this!!! I'm referring to the Spanish Sardines Pasta which was my welcome post this year. My daughter, Ayana Grace, bought a bottle of pesto from the grocery store last month (she usually does...we seldom run out of pesto sauce in our cupboard) and I just wasn't able to resist making another try of the Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta so here it is... Ingredients: 2 tbsps reserved oil from bottled sardines 2 tbsps olive oil 1 tbsp minced garlic 1/4 cup diced tomato 1 cup flaked Spanish sardines 1/3 cup Pesto sauce 1/4 cup pitted black olives 1/4 cup button mushrooms 1/2 kilo pasta noodles, cooked according to package instructions salt and pepper to taste Whole pieces of Spanish sardines (1 piece as topping per serving) Parsley for garnish   Steps: In a large saute pan, heat oil from sardines. Add olive oil as needed. Saute garlic until fragrant. Add diced

Ensaladang Mustasa

It's back to work today, after five days of rest, something I've been looking forward to. As if the  long Christmas holiday vacation was not enough :) Well, days just seem to fly so fast! Thanks to the additional non-working holidays brought about by the Pope's visit to my country, the Philippines. I had time to relax, stay at home, bond with family and yes, sort picture files in my computer. In between social networking, of course, I cooked for my family. With my husband home, there has to be fish and vegetables on the dining table. There was a bunch of mustasa (mustard) leaves left in the vegetable bin. What could be a better and perfect partner to fried fish than Ensaladang Mustasa (Mustard Salad)? Very simple and easy, here's how I did it. Ingredients: 1 bunch of mustasa leaves Rock salt 2 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced 1 small onion, sliced thinly 3 tbsps vinegar Iodized salt, ground pepper and sugar to taste Steps: 1. Cut mus

Ensaladang Alugbati (Malabar Spinach Salad)

This post appeared in my Facebook memories today. I'm glad it did! I featured this salad in my FB page a year ago.  Alugbati  (Malabar Spinach)  Salad (Ensaladang Alugbati). This came up when I received for the first time this bouquet of alugbati from Erik, my officemate. He shares with us fruits and veggies fresh from his garden.