Skip to main content

Bitter Melon and Cucumber Salad

Today, we didn't have the usual Jolibee meals which Billy, my husband take home every Saturday, so I fried some dried danggit (rabbitfish) and pusit (squid). Perfect for fried eggs and fried rice for breakfast! But that's not what this post is all about. Today, I'm featuring the Ampalaya and Pipino Salad (Bitter Melon and Cucumber Salad) I made for lunch.

I discovered this new salad recipe from Yummy Magazine (again!). Yes, the same September 2012 issue where I got the Pork Stew in Unripe Mango recipe I featured last week.

Very easy to prepare... here's how:

Ingredients:

1 bitter melon (ampalaya), seeded and thinly sliced
1 cucumber (pipino), thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, cored and sliced into small cubes
1 medium-sized red onion, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons white vinegar
5 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon sugar
salt and pepper, to taste

Steps:
  1. In a bowl, toss together bitter melon, cucumber, red bell pepper and onions. Chill until ready to serve.
  2. Make the dressing: In a separate bowl, combine vinegar, water and sugar. Mix until sugar is dissolved. Season with salt and pepper. 
  3. Drizzle vinegar dressing over salad. Toss and serve.
For this recipe, instead of slicing thinly the bitter melon and cucumber, I used my mandoline slicer such that I had very, very thin and small slices of both. The juice naturally came out so I didn't add water anymore. 

Now, the finished product...
It made another perfect match to the left over dried danggit and pusit from our breakfast. Do you think you would enjoy this kind of meal?

Comments

  1. That all looks so amazingly delicious!! I'm not sure what bitter melon is - I live in the states - but I'm thinking I could substitute something else for it? Just a beautiful presentation, too!

    Thank you for sharing on my linky! I always love seeing what you're going to share! :)

    God bless you - Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. Nice to see you here! Hope you'll be back again soon. It's great to join your link party!

      Delete
  2. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog-- just stopping by yours. I'm a new follower through GFC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to have you here! Thanks for following me, too.

      Delete
  3. Oh! I never thought of using bitter melon in a salad. Not sure if my family would like it though. I love bitter melon and I think it makes a really good stir fry with black beans!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Agy, for dropping by. Oh yes, with or without cucumber, using the same dressing, it does make a good salad which my friends always love. But you're right, too, it's also good stir fried with black beans.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment. Would love to see you back.

Most popular posts

Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta: A Remake

There's a saying that goes, "One is enough, two is too much..." Uh uhhh, not for this!!! I'm referring to the Spanish Sardines Pasta which was my welcome post this year. My daughter, Ayana Grace, bought a bottle of pesto from the grocery store last month (she usually does...we seldom run out of pesto sauce in our cupboard) and I just wasn't able to resist making another try of the Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta so here it is... Ingredients: 2 tbsps reserved oil from bottled sardines 2 tbsps olive oil 1 tbsp minced garlic 1/4 cup diced tomato 1 cup flaked Spanish sardines 1/3 cup Pesto sauce 1/4 cup pitted black olives 1/4 cup button mushrooms 1/2 kilo pasta noodles, cooked according to package instructions salt and pepper to taste Whole pieces of Spanish sardines (1 piece as topping per serving) Parsley for garnish   Steps: In a large saute pan, heat oil from sardines. Add olive oil as needed. Saute garlic until fragrant. Add diced

Ensaladang Mustasa

It's back to work today, after five days of rest, something I've been looking forward to. As if the  long Christmas holiday vacation was not enough :) Well, days just seem to fly so fast! Thanks to the additional non-working holidays brought about by the Pope's visit to my country, the Philippines. I had time to relax, stay at home, bond with family and yes, sort picture files in my computer. In between social networking, of course, I cooked for my family. With my husband home, there has to be fish and vegetables on the dining table. There was a bunch of mustasa (mustard) leaves left in the vegetable bin. What could be a better and perfect partner to fried fish than Ensaladang Mustasa (Mustard Salad)? Very simple and easy, here's how I did it. Ingredients: 1 bunch of mustasa leaves Rock salt 2 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced 1 small onion, sliced thinly 3 tbsps vinegar Iodized salt, ground pepper and sugar to taste Steps: 1. Cut mus

Ensaladang Alugbati (Malabar Spinach Salad)

This post appeared in my Facebook memories today. I'm glad it did! I featured this salad in my FB page a year ago.  Alugbati  (Malabar Spinach)  Salad (Ensaladang Alugbati). This came up when I received for the first time this bouquet of alugbati from Erik, my officemate. He shares with us fruits and veggies fresh from his garden.